What is herd health?
A herd health program means that there are regularly scheduled vet visits to the farm. These visits are meant to check up on how your whole herd is doing- from newborn calves to cows that have been milking years. It is a way for the veterinarian to get to know your farm and its practices to help tailor a health program that fits into your life.
-What does herd health refer to?
Herd health refers to the health of the overall population of cattle in an operation instead of the health of an individual animal. It is evaluated on the performance of the herd. Aspects that are evaluated are evidence of underlying infectious disease, reproductive efficiency, herd body condition or nutritional status, to name a few.
-How can a veterinarian help with herd health?
A veterinarian can recognize and diagnose disease within a herd, even when it is not apparent. They can make recommendations to assist in disease prevention as well as assess nutritional status and make recommendations for improvement. They can also aid in improving reproduction efficiency within a herd, or improving genetics within a herd through the use of artificial breeding techniques.
-Common practices of good herd health?
Some common practices include appropriate vaccination protocols and use, early recognition and diagnosis of disease and appropriate treatments, pregnancy examinations, and forage and soil testing for nutrient quality. It is important to keep good records to aid in herd analysis and assess current herd health and adjust based on findings of the evaluation.
Herd health and consultation
▪ Vaccinating and instating vaccination protocols specific for each individual farm
▪ Production analysis on herd and goal setting (such as increasing conception rates, weaning rates and weaning weights)
▪ In house laboratory
▪ Necropsy and death investigation
▪ Brucellosis vaccination and testing
▪ Diagnosing, managing and eradication of infectious and fatal diseases
▪ Internal parasite screening and management (fecal testing)
▪ Record keeping and consultation through our program to show true
▪ Trichomoniasis testing
▪ Facility design and implementation production and cost analysis
▪ Calf health determination and protocols to increase
▪ Referral services for food animal and theriogenology
▪ 25 hour emergency for our clients